Thursday, October 19, 2006

I COULD EAT A HORSE

It's official, I am a savage.
On Saturday night I had dinner in a nearby town with some other English teachers. We were trying out a restaurant in Wakayanagi (the town) for the first time. Being crap at Japanese always brings up problems when in Japanese restaurants. Not so much in regards to conversation, but more because of the menu. If they have photo menus, which many do, it's no problem. But if it's all in Chinese characters, it's a nightmare for me. This restaurant had no photos, so we had to torment the lovely waitress with our primitive Japanese. We'd point at an item on the list and say 'What?'. When we didn't understand the answer, we'd use our best local accent and spit out the words 'Meat? Fish? Vegatables?' This was working well. If the answer was meat, we'd ask 'What animal?', just to be sure. When we got the answer 'horse', we were surprised. It turns out that they had horse sashimi on the menu (raw horse). Everyone at the table wanted to try it so we ordered a serving of raw horse. Surprisingly, it was delicious, and not at all tough. I know, I know, I'm a savage. But when you're in Asia you HAVE to eat these things. The pigeon in Malaysia, the scorpions, worms, beetles, etc in Thailand, the kangaroo and wallabie in Australia (oh hang on, that's not Asia). Anyway, you have to! If you don't it's very, very rude. So don't hate me. I just hope I haven't upset all my horse-loving friends (and little sister). If it's any consolation, please be assured that I also am a horse-lover. Mmmmm horse!

No comments: