Friday, October 13, 2006

ANOTHER BIG MOUNTAIN

Autumn in Japan is beautiful. The temperature and humidity finally ease up, and the mountains give up their mixed greens (colours, not salad) for beautiful deep browns, reds and yellows. I love the light golden colours of autumn in Ireland, but here with so many Japanese maples turning a deep deep red it almost seems like a fifth season.
This week I had no school on monday. Another public holiday leaving me with a long weekend for some camping. On Sunday night four of us took the highway up north to attempt climbing a big mountain called Iwate san. Our plan was to camp sunday night and get up at the crack of dawn monday for the long hike. But with all my messing around we didn't get to the campground until very late.I think it was near 2 o'clock by the time we'd the tents set up and a hot whisky in our bellies. With a planned 6:00am rise it looked set to be a tired climb. Despite the typhoon winds and heavy downpour over the weekend, the weather was looking great as we finally set off on our hike at 8 o'clock. According to my vice-principal, who had told me about hiking here, it was a full ten hours to the summit and back. With sunset well before 6pm the pressure was on right from the start. But with hot coffee and bananas fueling us were ready to go. Twenty minutes into the hike I realised I was in for a long day. I guess I'm still miles from being 100% after my recent bout of bronchitis. I knew I'd lost a bit of weight and strength, but the last few days before the hike I'd been feeling good and thought I was grand again. But judging from the ease with which the other three were marching ahead, and the fact that I could here my heart in my ears seemed to contradict my initial confidence.
The day turned out to be almost as beautiful as the hike. Starting off deep in the forest, the terrain soon changed to reveal vast sweeping mountains all around us. We went from clambering up rocks and muddy gorges, to walking on flat stretches surrounded by beautiful vegatation and wisps of steam coming through the ground from the hot springs. It was bright and clear most of the way and the views changed dramatically. Short sections of the course we took were almost like rock climbing, and more than once we had to stop and have a good look around before figuring out where the path had disappeared to. And with time being precious and my three climbing partners apparently in excellent shape, we hardly stopped to catch our breath.
Climbing Iwate san isn't like climbing up a single mountain (Fuji, for example), we were climbing through forests and over other peaks, up and down and up again, before you could even see the summit. When it finally did come into view, not only was it still far away and draped in snow, there was a huge climb down before you could even begin to climb for the top. 'Oh bollocks' I remember thinking when I seen how far away it was. Time was really tight and we didn't want it to get dark on the return, as the hardest, slippiest part was the final section through the woods. Hesitating before clambering down to the ascending point for the summit, we discussed the possibilty of attempting to reach the summit. After deciding to try, we checked out the path. Then decided not to bother and just relax here where there was no snow and we could have a nice lunch. Then another change of mind and two of us decided to do what stupid people do. We went for it. God it hurt. The wind was howling, I was slipping in the snow, heart pounding, lungs about to quit, and my hair becoming really really messy. Nightmare!
However we made it to the top. Quick photos at the summit and a couple of bites of chocolate. We put on another layer and started the descent. With no time to spare we were overtaking the other climbers descending who had (wisely) chosen to do shorter trails that day. Just as I was about to make it to the bottom incident free, woops, out came my feet from beneath me. The hiking boots having been dumped after the Fuji Disaster, I was now in a pair of trainers. With not much grip on the snow, the downward climb was just too much. Bamm! Landed on my arse whilst at the same time cracking my elbow on a rock. Then went whizzing down the last few metres of snow before the rocks stopped me, to the 'Oohs' and 'Aahs' of some Japanese spectators. 'Wipe out' I casually said in my best tough snowboarder voice, hoping my elbow wasn't visibly dripping blood.
So now the two of us were back to the bottom of the top. We had to clamber back up to where the others waited, then begin our return hike, which unfortunately wasn't all downhill.
The return was fine though. The sun was a little lower and the scenery everywhere was stunning. Being tired from the summit section it was easy to zone out and just enjoy being outside in the sunshine.
We made it back about 5:30pm, not a minute too soon, tired, battered, and sunburnt, but with a great feeling of accomplishment. A total of nine and half hours hiking with barely a fifteen minute lunch break. Certainly the longest hike I've ever done, and ever will do :o)

No comments: