Wednesday, October 21, 2009

JEJU ISLAND

This month when my brother was here we finally took my long awaited trip to Jeju island. I had been looking forward to this trip for over six months as I'd planned to do it with my best friend from Japan, Ryuta, when my contract finished. Although I extended my contract, I was able to get enough time off for a nine-day trip.
[Ryuta and Ronan: Enjoying the sunny "day"]Jeju is just south of peninsular Korea. It's the most famous and popular tourist destination for Koreans, especially in summer and for honeymoons. The climate at the start of October is supposed to be perfect; dry and not too hot. That suited us well since our trip was to be one of adventure and excercise. However, just before taking off, I heard there was typhoon warnings and lots of rain promised during our trip. 'Highly unusual for this time of year', I was told :(
Ronan and I flew down to Jeju on the Friday and Ryuta arrived from Japan on Saturday morning. We rented bicycles with a plan to cycle the 240km coastal path around the circumference of the island. We allocated four days to do the entire distance, with an extra day cyling and sightseeing on a smaller island called Udo.
[Out on the town, with no thoughts of tomorrow's hangover]The first day, amazingly we notched up 75km in the sunshine. No prob for Ronan, a fitness machine, and Ryuta had no problems. But I hadn't excercised in 7 weeks becuase of my hand and chest injury (at least that's my excuse). Man, I swear my thighs were in such agony for the last 15km I thought I wouldn't be able to walk the next day. But luckily we found a bathhouse near our guesthouse and could soak and stretch our muscles.
[Sibling rivalry. I won.]Day 2 and the weather was still holding up ok. Just fifty hungover km today, but it was even harder than day 1. But Ryuta and Ronan are great fun, never complain and regularly do dumb things on the bike to get a laugh, so it was always bearable.
Day three the rain came. It was definitely not fun then. Ronan and I had bought a couple of matching blue jackets last minute in Jeju city and we were sure glad of them when it started to pour. By this point we were on the southeastern part of the island and towns were few and far between, so we just had to keep going to our planned destination for the day. With everything wet and heavy, including our spirits, and the cumulative hangovers adding up, day 3 was pretty gruelling for us. But once shacked up in a cheap motel, we found another bathhouse and soaked ourselves as it continued to pour outside.
Jeju is an island and thus seafood is popular. We went to a fancyish seafood place one night, but most of the time we were so hungry from biking we just wanted meat and enjoyed BBQ with the local delicacy 'black pig'.
On day 4 we took a ferry out to Udo, a small, supposedly beautiful island nearby. It was pouring! But we got motivated, put on our damp clothes from the day before and headed out.
Bad idea really. It was just miserable. The island wasn't beautiful, nor was it different to the other places in Jeju that we'd seen. Well, at least not on grey day.
So our plan to cycle around the entire island was quickly aborted and we caught the first ferry back to watch movies in our room and eat cookies. My Canadian coworker, Tyler flew down from Seoul in the afternoon and seemingly brought some good weather with him. Because following another night's drinking of the infamous Jeju alcohol 'Halasan Soju' we had clear skies.With a new member in the group and only a few showers along the way, the energy levels were higher and we covered the last 60km or so to Jeju city in record time.
We spent two nights here drinking heavily to make up for our general disatisfaction of the beauty of Jeju. We also hiked Hala-san, Korea's highest mountain. Again, we were unimpressed, but it was nice to get into the mountains.[Me and little bro at Halasan]So in summary, the trip was pretty good. Great to hang out with the lads do something physical. But as for Jeju island; not beautiful and not really fun, especially in the rain. I'm glad I went, but I wouldn't go back. Or maybe I'm just spoilt from seeing too many pretty places.
[Ryuta taking a nap in the pub. Trying to keep up with two Irish and a Canadian isn't easy.]

4 comments:

EunsilSong said...

So sorry to hear about the weather. This summer I went to the island and I had tons of fun, and was overwhemled by the nature and beauty of Jeju island :)

Unknown said...

i feel ryuta's pain

Judy said...

Wow! you guyls look same! :)

Honeymoon bed breakfast said...

Jeju is a beautiful volcanic island located in Korea. The island is rich in natural landscape and beauty. The sandy beaches offer a fascinating view. The Cheonjaeyeon Waterfall provides an eye catching and pleasant view at night.