Wednesday, April 02, 2008

TWENTY HOURS

When I was in Argentina my Mexican friend Vini asked me about long bus journeys. ‘Aren’t they boring? What do you do?’ At that time I didn’t really have an answer for him except to say that I don't get bored. So on my next trip I documented what I did for both my benefit and to share with Vini.
Here is my diary for the twenty-hour bus trip from Buenos Aires to Puerto Iguazu last December.

The bus departed at 20:00
>21:00 Attempted phrasebook Spanish with man sitting next to me. He told me he was twenty-two years old and a police man. I asked him to show me his gun. I guess the universal symbol for gun (two fingers in the air shouting ‘bang bang’) isn’t so universal, as he only showed me his photo ID. How disappointing!
>22:00 Ate bus dinner. My worst meal in a long time. Stale bread, dry chewy rice, and indescribable chicken. Kind policeman offered me his stale bread. I declined in Spanish, “No gracias”. Also wrote in my travel journal.
>00:00 Watched a movie (Rocky Balboa) and sipped scotch from my hip flask.
>01:00 Gulped from my hip flask. Patted myself on the back for wisely upgrading to a 6oz flask for this trip. Listened to new Kriss Kristofferson album, looked at stars, felt very happy to be on the road.
>01:30 Got comfortable. Took out sleeping bag, inflated pillow and changed clothes.
>08:00 Tossed, turned, dozed, slept, dreamt of beds and flat surfaces in general.
>09:00 Woke up. Took bus shower (consists of using one baby wipe on face, neck, hands and armpits - in that order).
>09:30 Bus stopped for breakfast. I thought it was just a toilet stop and nearly missed out on coffee and sweet croissants. Luckily bus driver realized I was a fool and pointed me in the right direction.
>11:00 Ate orange on bus, listened to new James Blunt album. Took in scenery.
>12:00 Read through old travel journal. Fell asleep.
>15:00 Tried reading Fast Food Nation. Managed about fifteen minutes then felt bored and hungry for a burger.
>16:00 Nodded off again. Was woken by bus driver at station.
>16:30 Woken by bus driver again. I guess I’d just went back to sleep after he woke me the first time. We had been parked at station for thirty minutes. Got of bus very glad it hadn’t begun return journey.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey man, pretty interesting eh, I can't believe you fall asleep after the bus arrived, and that it didn't leavw back to wherever with you on it! I know that breakfast stop, croissants and coffee, you make it sound all more wonderful than it really was, haha. On my way back from Rio to BsAs we stopped there to, but this time we had dinner, empanadas, chicken, soda, cheap wine and ice cream for dessert, way better than breakfast. Glad you posted this, take care.

Anonymous said...

Long time no see.
My name is Ai Goto.
Do you remember?


I saw the congratulations on your graduation.
It was glad. Thank you.


For me, the high school life is the enjoyment.
I will do my best for study and tennis.


Mr.Mark, please enjoy wonderful life.
I respect you.


Good bye.