Wednesday, April 02, 2008

MY JOB

I have just finished my second month working here in Cuzco. I have been teaching English at a small institute called Excel Language Center. It wasn't difficult for me to get the job (probably because of my Japan experience), I just gave my CV (resume) to the Director following my week of Spanish study at the school and started the next Monday. The pay is not much, fifteen soles (less than three pounds) an hour and I teach only three hours a day, but as the average daily income for a Cuzcueno is only twenty soles I'm doing quite well.
I teach two classes each evening starting at five-thirty and each month my classes change. So far I've been teaching adults and university students of different ability levels. For the most part they're all keen and enthusiastic (they are paying after all) so it has been a refreshing change from teaching kids who 'have' to be in class. Cuzco is a city in which sixty percent of the economy is based around tourism, so that explains the big demand for English and other languages here.
My students are a lot of fun and pretty easy going so we have a laugh in class quite often (as long as they've done their homework). And the conversation class I taught to advanced level adults in March was very interesting as we could talk about politics, culture, food and even drugs.
From Thursday I will have two new classes full of students with cool names like Fidel, Carlos and Alejandra. These will be my last classes as from May I will officially return to backpacker status and continue my travels around South America for two more months.

No comments: