Saturday, January 25, 2014

NEXT CHAPTER: POST GRAD IN CAPE TOWN

The next chapter of my life has begun and I find myself in Cape Town, South Africa attending university. A year or two ago I couldn't have imagined that this is what I would be doing right now, but here I am....


I'm attending the University of Cape Town (UCT) as a post graduate student. The course I'm studying is a two-year intensive BSc (HONS) in Nutrition and Dietetics. I arrived here just over a week ago and have been though orientation and classes will officially begin on Monday.

The first year will be all classroom and kitchen learning, lots of presentations, physiology, food science and also community related studies. And in the second year it will be placements and research projects. I've heard this course is insanely intense and competitive. They only accept 16 students per year. The reason it's so competitive is because UCT has a great reputation and this is the only place you can undertake such a course in two years as opposed to four.

I have a lot of fears about being here; safety (it's a dangerous city), finances (I'm funding myself) and, mostly, workload. Four of last year's sixteen students dropped out in the first year. And I am the oldest (by almost ten years) in my class, so I'm sure I'm very rusty on studying and all that. But despite all of the above, I'm feeling positive and want to give it a good crack. The teachers all seem really lovely and supportive, and of course the course is fascinating and genuinely interesting to me. I think it will be a great field to work in where I can really help people as well as experience a varied working life and continuous learning. Wish me luck!

No comments: