Saturday, February 16, 2013

AFRICA UPDATE (06 FEB)

Well, I’ve been in Africa just over two months. I’ve been terrible at blogging, sorry. However over the next five weeks I will endeavour to write more and I expect to have the time and energy to do so.
Since the end of November, when I arrived, I’ve been using Johannesburg (Joburg) as a base. My initial plan of spending just two nights in the infamous and dangerous city quicky changed as my couchsurfing host brought me into his social circles and invited me to cool events like pool parties as well as taking me to the city’s best restaurants and clubs. So I stayed on much longer than expected. Using Joburg as my base, I’ve taken trips to three other countries; Swailand, Lesotho and Mozambique. I plan to write about these countries in depth (well, at least as much depth as I could see in my short time visiting. I’ve also visited Kruger National Park, Durban, the Panorama Route (a scenic road north of Joburg), and a bizarre Hindu festival.
I’ve done a lot of partying since arriving on this continent, perhaps too much and perhaps at the cost of other activitivities like scuba diving, bungee jumping, etc. But I’ve loved everywhere I have been and met so many amazing people along the way. Everyday I learn something new, which is shocking because I thought I already knew everything.
Right now, I’m typing this on an Intercape bus from Joburg to Gaborone, the capital of Botswana. From tomorrow I will volunteer at a nature reserve called Mokolodi. They have an expensive, but seemingly well organised and comprehensive volunteer programme that lasts five weeks. This is ideal for me right now as it’s time for my annual 6-week detox (previously known as "Lent"). The nature reserve is 17km from the city and I’m currently the only volunteer, so evenings will be quiet, perhaps even lonely, but that’s ok; it will give me opportunity to write about the things I’ve seen and done as well as some reading time. I hope to use this time very productively following so much hedonism. I plan to run (bye bye beer belly), eat healthy (I have to cook my own meals), read a lot (finally put that Kindle to use), and perhaps consider my future plans and what I will do after Africa (???).
Thanks for your patience and stay tuned for lots of posts and photos.

No comments: