Monday, July 27, 2009

"WOOF WOOF!!" (silence...)

Right now in Korea it's hot, it's humid, and everyone is getting sick. They says it's because of the air-conditioning and hot humid weather contrast. Traditionally here they have three 'hot' days per year. On these 'hot' days Koreans like to eat samgyatang (a soup containing a whole boiled chicken with ginseng and other healthy things) and kegogi (dog meat).Last Friday was one of the hot days and I was feeling pretty tired, achy and a bit sick. So I decided it was as good a time as any to try dog (I've eaten the samgyatang many times). Although I used to be very adventurous in what foods I would eat in the name of 'culture', my curiosity and courage have dulled in the last year or two. Regardless of my inhibitions I set out to try this medicine or 'stamina food' on Saturday. I went with three Korean women, two of whom had never tried dog and one who eats it twice a month and boosts of the benefits.
It was really difficult at first, and took a glass of beer and skipping breakfast to get motivated to gobble down some of man's best friend. The first bite was tough, but then it got easier. The meat was actually really tender and quite delicious. About 60% beef, 40% pork in my humble culinary novice opinion. However, there was a lot of fat in each of the pieces of meat, and apparently this is where much of the stamina-boosting goodness is found. As someone who rarely eats the fat even on chicken or beef, it was quite difficult eating all of this.All in all though it wasn't a terrible experience. I was glad to sample some Korean culture even if it will make my pet-loving friends hate me. And the best part is, that since Saturday (it's now Monday evening) I've been feeling fantastic; energetic, strong and full of 'stamina'. Maybe it's the placebo effect, maybe the other healthy ingredients that came with the dog meat, or, maybe it is actually true that dog meat provides stamina and helps battle the summer fatigue...
[My partners in crime; Tina and Clare]

2 comments:

Dessie said...

Wat kind of dog was it? im sure sum dogs wud taste nicer than others like a bernard shepard for example im sure it wud be good lol.

Mark said...

No idea mate.

I heard they have a special type of dog which they 'farm'. They don't just use any dog.
But whatever it was, it sure was yummy :P