Tuesday, November 04, 2008

THE BUSIEST STREET IN THE WORLD

I work in and area called Gangnam (pronounced Kangnam). It's the chic, downtown, corporate area of Seoul. The street on which I work is called Gangnamdero (lit: Kangnam big road) is supposedly the busiest in the world and peaks between 7 and 9pm. So every night it's like a dodging and shoving match to get home. Recently I have started taken back streets to reach my apartment. They are still very busy and getting too lost in your thoughts will inevitably lead to a person on person collision, but it's a quicker route home. This week I have been covering someone elses shifts which means a 6am start. Walking to work at 5:30 is an absolute pleasure. Of course there are still people and cars about, but by comparison to the usual human traffic it's like a little slice of solitude in the city.

No comments: