Sunday, July 22, 2007

JHS GOOD-BYE

Friday was my last day at junior high school so I had to give another dreaded speech in terrible Japanese. I really didn't want to do the tear-jerker 'Japan is so great, you're all so great, how can I ever leave this place?' speech. So instead I tried to use this last opportunity to encourage these countryside students to travel. I told them that I'd leaned two things from traveling. Firstly, all over the world there are kind, nice people. And secondly, it is okay to do things on your own; if you wait for friends or are too afraid, you might miss out on your dreams.
And then I did the mushy 'you're all so great' stuff (which is totally true). But I've no idea how they took the speech. Japanese are all so polite that they always say 'great speech', even if it was rubbish. So I hope at least a couple of the kids understood what I was trying to tell them.

No comments: